The District 1 Spring 2018 Conference “Soaring to New Heights” on April 28th was a great success with over 275 in attendance and 56 first timers. The conference team lead by Co-Chairs Keith Jackson, DTM and Larry Lee, DTM performed admirably. Here are the highlights:
The phenomenal set of presenters provided attendees with a great set of educational tips.
- Leslie Pogue, DTM shared the importance of LEAD (Listen, Empower, Action, Discover)
- Michael Osur, MBA, DTM, IDG helped us to Discover our Why
- Dana LaMon, DTM, WCPS, AS reminded us about making Meaningful Experiences
The Evaluation Speech Contest was led by Contest Toastmasters Cary Kellems, DTM and showcased model speaker Zach Latimor. Congratulations to all of our participants but especially to our winners: 1st Place John Pope, ACB, ALB, 2nd Place Uche Akotaobe, ACB, CL and 3rd Place RC Sawyer, ACS, ALB.
The International Speech Contest was of equal success led by our Contest Toastmasters Carol Otters, DTM. Congratulations to 1st Place Wendell Jones, CC, 2nd Place Sherwood Jones, ATM and 3rd place Michael Cormier, ACS.
Wendell will be representing District 1 in the International Speech Contest Semi-Finals at 2018 Toastmasters International Convention. For more details about the convention go to https://www.toastmasters.org/events/2018-international-convention
The day was made extra special by the number of recognitions, honors, and awards presented throughout the day:
- The Lydia Boyd Award: Sonya Vasquez, DTM, District 1 Public Relations Manager
- Communication and Leadership Award: Erin Gruwell, teacher, author, founder of the Freedom Writers Foundation, and the 2017 Toastmasters International Golden Gavel award recipient
- Distinguished Toastmasters: Robert Russell, DTM, Jacquelyn Deloatch, DTM, Jacki-Williams Jones, DTM, Cynthia Helene Moore, DTM, Sandra Luisa Wallach, DTM, Ruth Quiachon, DTM
During the Business Meeting, the 2017-2018 District Leaders shared all of this past year’s successes and the 2018-2019 District Leaders were introduced:
- District Director Evelyn Wooldridge, DTM
- Program Quality Director Ken Starks, ACS, ALB
- Club Growth Director Brad Stauffer, DTM
- Division A Director Steve Evans, ACG/ALB
- Division B Director Alexander Denk, ACG/ALB
- Division C Director Melody Mundy, ACB, ALB
- Division D Director Anna Ziss Patton, DTM
- Division E Director Michelle King, CC
- Division F Director Janet Kemp, DTM
Business Class ~ Chevron $1250
Coach Class ~ Sky Zone Federal Credit Union $500
Additional VIP Sponsors
Angela Sayers CPA $350
Girls Club of Los Angeles $250
Rob Mosquera $250
Thank you to the over 50 advertisers in the Conference Program Book!